Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I think I know

I think I know why I’m unable to communicate with Americans.

The older I grow, the less I know. When I know nothing at all, then I will know everything there is to know. “Knowledge” is just baggage. Losing baggage may seem inconvenient at first, but traveling free of baggage is truly traveling!

In America it seems that everyone has major problems living their lives; so did I, for a long time. I always knew that my number one problem was me. Now that I have put them (America, me) behind, the quality of my problems has improved immensely!

People who post their problems on websites that I visit seem to think that they “know” their problems. Their lives aren’t working out the way they expect them to. (That, of course, is the problem – “expect”). From time to time I try to reach my hand toward them in a gesture of compassion and empathy. My hand is usually ignored; sometimes slapped. How puzzling; they appear to ask for help but they are unable to see help when it’s offered.

So I conclude that people do not really want to know. They have grown so accustomed to misery that they can’t leave it behind. It earns them sympathy from people who share that condition. When I peep into their mind, they slam the door shut – most of them do it immediately; some connect for a little while, but then cut me off. For a long time this was puzzling, but now I must conclude that people take pleasure in misery. At least I did.

I want to help but I cannot. So I think I’ll just get on with my life. I am surrounded here by people who love me and appreciate me. Why would I ever want to return to America? Why do I continue attempting to connect with Americans? “Christians?”

I want to help them because I love them. But I can’t.

I want to help but I’m just human. If they are unable to receive me – a fellow human – then how can they receive Christ?

I like the way Mr. Peterson puts it (from John 1):

9-13The Life-Light was the real thing:
Every person entering Life
he brings into Light.
He was in the world,
the world was there through him,
and yet the world didn't even notice.
He came to his own people,
but they didn't want him.
But whoever did want him,
who believed he was who he claimed
and would do what he said,
He made to be their true selves,
their child-of-God selves.
These are the God-begotten,
not blood-begotten,
not flesh-begotten,
not sex-begotten.

Are you “one of God’s kids?” Do you know what it means to be one? That’s knowledge worth knowing. I try to explain, but no one listens. The “Life-Light” is also trying to explain, but no one listens to Him either. It's easier to seek sympathy from those who don't know what to do than receive actual knowledge.

When will you get the ears to hear? The eyes to see? At least ask…

1 comment:

  1. Tomas, I love this post. It is so true. I'm gonna read the next one now.

    ReplyDelete